The citronella plant is a member of the geranium family, its’ lacy green foliage carries a lovely citronella fragrance. It is often referred to as the “mosquito plant” however, the plant itself does not act as a deterrent. The leaves must be crushed or brushed on the skin to produce a repellent effect.
- Planting time – Spring, after the last frost
- Features – Strongly lemon-scented leaves
- Exposure – Part shade
- Soil – Light, well drained, on the dry side
- Spacing – 18 to 24 inches
- Plant size – 24 to 36 inches tall